The Surgical assistant provides aid in exposure, hemostasis, closure and other intraoperative technical functions that help the surgeon carry out a safe surgery with optimal results for the patient. In addition to intraoperative duties, the surgical assistant also performs preoperative and postoperative duties to better facilitate proper patient care. The surgical assistant to the surgeon during the surgery does so under the direction and supervision of the surgeon.
PRINICIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Determines specific equipment needed per procedure.
- Review all proper paperwork to confirm procedure and special needs for the patients.
- Confirms procedure with surgeon.
- Drapes the patient within the surgeons guidelines
- Selects and applies wound dressing.
- Provides the patient with appropriate wound care education and instructions.
- Provides patient with written wound care instructions / handout and obtains patient signature on copy of wound care instruction sheet.
- High School diploma or GED
- 2 year College Degree or Higher
- Current Surgical Assistant Certification
- Graduate of a Accredited Surgical Assistant Program
- Current CPR Certification