Skin Cancer is an increasing and real epidemic that affects millions of people. As Providers within Dermatology, we are often asked what people can do to help protect themselves against skin cancer. The American Academy of Dermatology suggests the following:
- Seek shade when appropriate, remembering that the sun’s rays are strongest between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. If your shadow is shorter than you are, seek shade.
- Wear protective clothing, such as a lightweight long-sleeved shirt, pants, a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses, when possible.
- Generously apply a broad-spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher. Broad-spectrum sunscreen provides protection from both UVA and UVB rays.
- Use sunscreen whenever you are going to be outside, even on cloudy days.
- Apply enough sunscreen to cover all exposed skin. Most adults need about 1 ounce — or enough to fill a shot glass — to fully cover their body.
- Don’t forget to apply to the tops of your feet, your neck, your ears and the top of your head.
- When outdoors, reapply sunscreen every two hours, or after swimming or sweating.
- Use extra caution near water, snow and sand, as they reflect the damaging rays of the sun, which can increase your chance of sunburn.
- Avoid tanning beds. Ultraviolet light from tanning beds can cause skin cancer and premature skin aging.
- Consider using a self-tanning product if you want to look tan but continue to use sunscreen with it.
- Perform regular skin self-exams to detect skin cancer early, when it’s most treatable, and see a board-certified Dermatologist if you notice new or suspicious spots on your skin, or anything changing, itching or bleeding.
Our Clients Say
Awesome practice. Dr. Brown corrected a misdiagnosis by another physician and I have been happy, healthy and terrific!!!
I continue to return because of the service given here. I have experienced numerous places, but felt this was the best.
She (Dr Bayers) was attentive and made sure to give me time to ask additional questions. Highly recommend her as a primary dermatologist to see for your annual checkup.
It was a right decision to visit Dr. Stephanie Bayers. Was my first visit, and I was not sure. But gave it a chance, and glad I did. She was very efficient, quick, to the point, attentive, took time to listen to me and to do the job. Would not hesitate to recommend her any day.
Dr. Bayers was efficient but still answered all my questions. She gave her opinion but was still open to hearing what I would like to do. The office staff was friendly and I was seen fairly quickly after arriving and filling out my paperwork (maybe 10 minute wait). Overall a great experience.
Stephanie was very helpful in explaining what to look out for in moles, and did a good job of walking me through the procedure for taking a biopsy of the mole I wanted her to look at. The procedure itself was quick and pretty painless and she made sure I was comfortable the whole time.
Stephanie Bayers was attentive to my concerns, answered all my questions, and stressed the importance of follow up. Great first experience!
I get very nervous about seeing new doctors, but I immediately felt reassured during my visit. Incredibly kind and informative. Great listening skills. Thank you!
Stephanie Bayers was very friendly during my annual checkup. She was efficient with the check up and very clear with explanations of what I needed to do in the future.
This was a very good experience with a new provider to address persistent skin issues. I’d certainly entrust my future health needs to him.
This was my first time meeting with Dr Brown and I thought he and his assistant did a wonderful job. They explained the procedure clearly as well as what to expect after so they put me at ease. A lot of doctors offices can make you feel rushed and that was definitely not the case here. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a dermatologist
Dr. Brown made the whole process as easy and as painless as possible!
I had a serious melanoma identified by Dr. Brown and removed within the week. Dr. Brown went above and beyond any other Doctor I have experienced in my long life Everyone at the office is engaging, nice, and informed.
I highly recommend Dr. Clarence Brown and his staff. Such a wonderful experience to maintain a healthy existence. I owe Dr. Brown so much more than just a thank you